Sunday 14 June 2015

"What's your favourite colour?"

   A curiously banal question to ask somebody intimately involved in colour, and unanswerable by most painters I suspect. If somebody has several children, do you ask them which one is their favourite? At the opposite extreme would you ask a chess player their favourite move? The moves exist, as I understand it, within a context of tactics and strategy, and responding to the other player's moves and perceived strategy.
   Even if I say my favourite colour is green - and why not? - there are how many greens? Not just the full range from near-yellow to near-blue, but greens modified by other colours, diluted with white - and that does not even begin to consider the contexts of that green, a particular hillside in early summer, the moss growing on a tree, a jumper worn by some beloved person. And this does not even begin to take into account the opposite side, the negative, of green, that might modify my slightly hypothetical passion for that colour, the green of putrescence for instance.
   But I think that at any moment I might have a preferred colour that might have a significance for me, to do with a passion or a lack within me at that moment, and, assuming I am making mostly subjective colour choices rather than descriptive ones, might emerge in my palette.

No comments:

Post a Comment